Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Sydney Laurence project: Learn to paint


This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. The Sydney Laurence project is an interpretation of Sydney Laurence's paintings of Alaska and the northwest. I've decided to interpret his works, not copy them, as a way to improve my landscape painting. Along the way I will discuss the process, post pictures of the progress and show video instruction. Learn to paint with me. Anyone can paint.

Sydney Laurence (1865 to 1940) was the first classically trained artist in Alaska. His grand style is often described as similar to Albert Bierstadt and Thomas Moran. It differs from those painters in that the subject matter truly is grand and not wildly exaggerated.

I have chosen Sydney Laurence because as a geologist I spent years in the Alaskan bush. Alaska is bigger than life and I paint it that way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dan! Great to meet you! I haven't heard of the Wyoming artist you mentioned, but I am going to research her work and see if I can find out more about her. How exciting! Thank you for the note about her and also your nice comments about my work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Doris O'Brien's work. She is a true American icon. An interesting woman in the 20th century west.

    There is not too much written about her work so I guess I'll write about her.

    An interesting note - When she was living in Casper, Dick Cheney mowed her neighbor's lawn. I asked her if he did a good job. She said "Ok, I think." I laughed as you do when a 100 year old recalls history.

    I really love your work Mara. Wish I could paint like that. I like your website too.

    ReplyDelete