Monday, December 21, 2009

The Sydney Laurence Project: "Misty Morn"

I finished my first interpretation of Sydney Laurence's "Misty Morn." It is 20 x 30 canvas.


After drawing a very rough outline in charcoal I began to paint. I generally start top to bottom and dark colors to light colors. So I laid in the sky and portions of the mountains. When working with snow covered mountains it is best to start with the light areas and add color. So I left a large portion of the mountains unpainted. Later I added the white and contaminated it with color a little at a time.

I added the clouds after the painting had sat for a while. The clouds focus the eye on Mt. McKinley.

Notice the three distinctive zones of the painting. McKinley is in the background. The middle zone includes a stream and mountains. The foreground is apparent but in the interpretation lacks interest.

Now I will try to save the painting by adding some color contrast to the foreground. Perhaps I will add an element to the foreground to provide interest, as Laurence himself did.

The blue mountain in the middleground  appears to me to be too dark and distracting so I will have to tackle that too.

Otherwise I like the painting. It has been a worthwhile exercise. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment