Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sydney Laurence Project: Cook Inlet seascape

I have chosen a seascape of Cook Inlet as another beginning project . This painting should be available on the net and I have posted it here. In this painting Laurence paints a storm in the inlet. I have never seen large surf in the inlet but I have seen really big tidal action. Anyway, it makes an interesting painting.

I find the painting pleasant but lacking some detail. Notice that Laurence's painting has a large area of clouds in the upper right. I find this to be way too much negative space so I intend to paint this area differently.

The palette is fairly simple. Prussian blue,  french ultramarine blue, cadmium red, sap green, naples yellow, burnt umber, white will just about do it. I could use just the primary colors and get the same outcome.

I have posted a photographic image of the same location. I will use this photograph alone with the painting to make my interpretation.




I sure can't paint in the same style or quality as old Sydney but I know I can produce an interesting painting. Maybe someone in Alaska will want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment