Monday, February 15, 2010

My Cook Inlet Seascape

This morning I am taking a break from the kids to update my blogs. There is a foot of snow on the ground with more to come this afternoon and tomorrow. If this is global warming I would hate to think what global cooling looks like.

Well, back to the Cook Inlet painting today. The 'painting' is completed and it is hanging in the local coffee shop. Sometimes I will hang a painting for a while and just think about it and see what response it gets. Often I find that it needs some revision.

The painting is posted here. If you click on it you should see a larger image. To me the painting is overwhelmingly green so I might add some color contrast before I send it on its merry way.

The frame is painted black with red primer showing through in places. I like it.

The objective now is to decide if I have followed Sydney Laurence's simple rules. There are a foreground, middle ground and distant background. Laurence used birds to better define the middle field of the painting and I may add that element.

Many of Mr. Laurence's paintings have a point of interest in the off-center foreground. Here the breaking wave acts as that point of interest.

When I look at this painting I can hear the shwush of the water in the foreground as it falls back into the inlet and I can hear the breaking wave. So I guess the painting is a success. Cook Inlet Seascape 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment